Re: [OT] Thermal Stores for hot water/heating

I've never priced them up, but I'd imagine they would cost more - just
because of the lower volume of sales.  Unvented tanks will cost more due
to all the extra plumbing / pressure relief etc.  And then I guess
you'll need a heating engineer with above average knowledge, so they
might cost a bit more too.

That aside, from a practical standpoint I think they are far superior to
a standard hw tank or combi system.  I believe they are well suited to
other sources of heat too, such as solar, and you can also still have an
imersion heater for backup - something sorely lacking in a combi.

Mal

Paul Gale wrote:

>Are they not quite expensive though?
>
>Paul.

plumbers and
>>>decided that with underfloor heating + radiators & a
condensing
>>>boiler that a thermal store was the best option as theory is
that
>>>even when heating the house (rather than water) the themal mass
of
>>>the heatstore gives the boiler something to work on and
>>>prevents/reduces boiler cycling/ inefficiency associated with
>>>condensing boilers and zoned heating whre only one room may be
>>>calling for heat.
>>>
>>>None of the (getting on for 10) plumbers I have spoken to think
this
>>>is a good idea. All generally vague reasons that seem to centre
>>>on "I fit what I know" rather than listening to
customer; oh and the
>>>annual service for the pressure relief valves needed for
unvented
>>>cylinders, nice litle earner. One suggested in hardwater areas
the
>>>heat exchanger would calcify, but Googling doesn't seem to back
this
>>>up. Naturally eh suppliers (Chelmerheating, Nu-heat, Gledhill)
all