Latest message you have seen: Re: Re: CurrentCost external install

Re: Re: Windows home server

I almost bought a RAID controller card for use in my server, but then
receivedan epiphianic slap round the face.  For that £180 (or
thereabouts) you can buy a motherboard with 9 internal SATA connectors
(for example, the Abit AB9), a Core2Duo processor and 1Gb of RAM.  For
those who bought lottery tickets today (i.e who are not good with
numbers), that means up to 4.5Tb with the bargain-priced 500Gb drives
available at the moment.  The server will run faster and consume less
power too.

For home use, RAID is a red herring, IMO.  The additional robustness
provided by a extra drive or two is not necessary in a home server -
even a tetchy SWMBO will survive a "down day" once every few
years or
so.  RAID is NOT backup.  To protect your data against the most likely
causes of failure - fire, theft and flood - duplicates are required, and
need to be stored off-site (or in a safe at the very least).

Mal

Phil Harris wrote:

> In case anyone's interested there's a seller on ebay with 20 off 3Ware
> 9500-12 12 channel SATA RAID controllers for sale at £179.99 each
which
> includes the battery backup unit for the controller card too which
doesn't
> sound at all bad...
>
> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AMCC-Storage-3ware-9500S-12-SATA-RAID-Controller-w-BBU
> <http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AMCC-Storage-3ware-9500S-12-SATA-RAID-Controller-w-BBU>

_W0QQitemZ190113423676QQihZ009QQcategoryZ96881QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZV
> iewItem
>
> or
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2wls45 <http://tinyurl.com/2wls45>
>
> ...I'm still toying with the idea of buying one myself but I'm trying
> find somewhere that sells the correct breakout Multi-lane to SATA
> cables. I
> can find Multi-lane to 4 x SATA cables for $15 each but I'm not sure
> whether
> that card uses the 4 x SATA cables as it has 6 connectors but
"only"
> supports 12 drives (which would imply 2 drives per connector and not
4).

> Unfortunately the 3Ware website seems to be down for maintenance at
the
> moment...
>
> Phil

On