From: ukha_d@xxxxxxx [mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Pete
Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2007 11:49 PM
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: [ukha_d] Exploding CD

Has anyone had a CD explode in a drive? I couldn't play this audio CD-R
under WinXP for some reason although I could see the cda file, so I
tried in my Ubuntu server. No joy but a lot of whirring noise. Following
an attempt to eject it after about half a minute and there was a very
load bang.

I stripped down the DVD writer and emptied all the bits of plastic and
most of the shards of silver coloured foil that were all over the
inside. Even the Dyson wouldn't pull them all out. It looks like the
explosion damaged the edge of the ribbon cable to the read head though,
as the reassembled drive won't recognise media now :-)

Now landfill, but is this a first or have others experienced similar
things?

Pete