Fw: [ukha_d] £99 HDMI HD Media Player Bargain!?

  • Subject: Fw: [ukha_d] £99 HDMI HD Media Player Bargain!?
  • From: Gareth Cook <g@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 12:06:36 +0100

Not =A399 anymore...

Gareth Cook
IT Architect / Project Manager, SWG Sales Europe
Office: +44 (0)1784 445166 - Mobile: +44 (0)7980 445166
email: g@xxxxxxx

=20
----- Forwarded by Gareth Cook/UK/IBM on 09/05/2007 12:00 -----

Discussion
Main Topic

ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Today 09:20

.
Subject:
.
RE: [ukha_d] =A399 HDMI HD Media Player Bargain!?
.
Category:

You miss the point.

=20

These sorts of boxes are produced to meet a price point in a retailer,=20
they
are what I refer to as ?cost engineered? and built to a price, not a
specification. Believe me, I've seen it happen and seen how it?s done,
especially from Far Eastern companies but the Europeans and Yanks play the
same game. So if the producer thinks that they can get away without a=20
widget
that costs $0.05 they will do so. You also have to remember that, as a=20
rough
guide, the cost on the production line will add approximately three to=20
four
times that at point of sale as everything is generally calculated in
percentages on top of gate price.

=20

Quite often with these low cost items what you get is a cheap DVD player=20
or
whatever knocked out at $20 landed, then sold in stores for $50 for a set
period. Then the excess stock is sold off at a stupidly low price just to
shift them. Even with a high failure rate on the initial ones of 30% or=20
more
there?s still room to simply swap them out or repair them, customer
satisfaction is just not on the agenda with these sorts of products, it?s
all about margin and volume.

=20

It?s the old story, you get what you pay for and if you buy cheap all too
often that?s just what you get.

=20

Consumerism, gotta love it.

=20