RE: [ukha_d] £99 HDMI HD Media Player Bargain!?

You miss the point.

=20

These sorts of boxes are produced to meet a price point in a retailer, they
are what I refer to as =93cost engineered=94 and built to a price, not a
specification. Believe me, I've seen it happen and seen how it=92s done,
especially from Far Eastern companies but the Europeans and Yanks play the
same game. So if the producer thinks that they can get away without a
widge=
that costs $0.05 they will do so. You also have to remember that, as a
roug=
guide, the cost on the production line will add approximately three to four
times that at point of sale as everything is generally calculated in
percentages on top of gate price.

=20

Quite often with these low cost items what you get is a cheap DVD player or
whatever knocked out at $20 landed, then sold in stores for $50 for a set
period. Then the excess stock is sold off at a stupidly low price just to
shift them. Even with a high failure rate on the initial ones of 30% or
mor=
there=92s still room to simply swap them out or repair them, customer
satisfaction is just not on the agenda with these sorts of products, it=92s
all about margin and volume.

=20

It=92s the old story, you get what you pay for and if you buy cheap all too
often that=92s just what you get.

=20

Consumerism, gotta love it.

=20