Re:NAS Cooling

  • Subject: Re:NAS Cooling
  • From: "Tim Fletcher Dot Com" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 00:52:45 +0100

Well, the long hot days are back on their way and once again I'll be
stressed about the drive temperatures in my NAS (Netgear SC101)  I have
seen a mod to add a 90mm fan to the case - not elegant but should work ok
and will be almost silent - I'll get a decent fan and slow it down.  I was
wondering how easy (or otherwise) it would be to build a timer circuit so I
could only run the ran when the disk is running.  Both disks are powered
24/7 but only spin up when active - I simply havent the electronics nous to
figure out what the logic is that spins up the drive but was considering
something like a 555 timer triggered by the HDD LED on the front panel.
Does this idea have legs, or have I missed something?

TIA

Tim.