Re: Recommendation required for ADSL modem + 4 port Router

  • Subject: Re: Recommendation required for ADSL modem + 4 port Router
  • From: "liakakos" <ukha@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 08:12:18 -0000

Most of the IT techies I know have Draytek routers. They're very
reliable (It's never dropped out on me, never required a reboot -
absolutely no problems ever, which is a first for me), and have a lot
of functionality if you need it - VPNs, multiple IP addresses, NAT,
VLANs, QoS, static routing, etc. They aren't as cheap as the usual
crowd, but, as they say, you get what you pay for.

I've got one of these:

http://www.draytek.com/product/adsl_router_modem/vigor2600plus/vigor2600plus.php

This is the same with wireless:

http://www.draytek.com/product/wlan_adsl/vigor2600g/vigor2600g.php

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Phil Harris" <phil@...> wrote:

> http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/52245
>
> Phil

PCWorld
> > fayre) tends to be pretty crap. (And I'm talking across the board
-
> > I've
> > had
> > NetGear, Belkin, Linksys, D-Link etc.) All have either been
flakey,
> > locked
> > up, have had poor performance in congested wifi areas or have
simply
> > died
> > completely.
> >
> > I bit the bullet and decided to get a NetGear Pro Series (blue
metal
> > cased)
> > wireless AP and router recently and that has been far better
> > (performance
> > wise) than my previous ones and I'm hoping that its longevity
will be
> > better
> > too.
> >
> > Phil

I should
> > have
installation in Feb
> > > 2004.
> > >
> > > Ours was fine for about 8 months, then died completely.
> > >
> > > We'd had some many problems with NetGeat routers and WAPs
that we
> > > persuaded the shop we bought it from to give us a DLink as a
> > > replacement. That has been a lot better, even though the
wireless
> > side
> > > still poor.
> > >
> > > Partly becuase of the 9 different wireless netwroks we can
see, 4 of
> > > them all on channel 1 last time we looked.
> > >
> > > Have actually gone for powerline ethernet instead for some
things,
> > > well worth the money, and so impressed by the first pair, we
bought
> > > two more to extend the network in to new areas.
> > >
> > > Julie

> > This email has been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security
System.