Re: Electric Re-wiring!

Ho Yin Ng wrote:
> Do people really check when they buy a house whether the place has
been
> rewired??
>
> If they ask for a certificate and you say you don't have one are they
really
> going to not buy the house?

Probably not, but they will use that to get a couple of grand knocked off
the asking price.

> Ho yin
>
> On 02/05/07, Mark Golledge <markgolledge@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>>   Hi guys,
>>
>> Thanks for all the emails. I think the idea, like has been said,
is that
>> they want it brought up to current regs. Fine if you are about to
sell
>> your
>> house as now doubt the buyer would want this as well (and you to
pay for
>> it), not fine if you are a. not wanting to sell and b. strapped
for cash!

>> I've got an uncle who is an electrician - albeit at the other end
of the
>> country. Am going to seek some more advice but I think the general
>> approach
>> is going to be get what we need done (i.e. circuit board and metal
>> faceplates) and then save up for a full re-wire at a later date
(before we
>> sell!).
>>
>> Thanks again,
>>
>> Mark
>>
>> On 5/2/07, Jon Payne <jgpayne@xxxxxxx
<jgpayne%40btinternet.com>>
>> wrote:
>>> I think that's what they do these days isn't it? They want to
bring
>>> everything up to currents regs. I had Southern Electric round
- I really
>>> just wanted the earthing updated and fuse box replaced, but
they also
>> wanted
>>> to install an extra circuit for a TV amp in the airing
cupboard and
>> split
>>> the ring main, those last two people labour intensive =
expensive.

<neil.fuller%40gmail.com> <
>> neil.fuller%40gmail.com>>
<ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com><ukha_d%40yahoogrou
>> ps.com>
>>> Sent: Tuesday, 1 May, 2007 5:18:10 PM
>>> Subject: Re: [ukha_d] Electric Re-wiring!
>>>
>>> Ouch!
>>>
>>> This sounds a bit like a rip off to me, although Dean or
someone who is
>>> more "current" with the regs will be able to comment
with more
>> authority.
>>> If the circuit for the boiler has no earth, it will indeed
need to be
>>> rewired. However, AFAIK, that does not mean that the rest of
the house
>>> needs to be re-wired too.
>>>
>>> At some point, if you start using metal faceplates or light
fittings,
>>> you will need to rewire the lighting circuits but if the
boiler
>>> replacement is more important, I'd suggest you just have the
boiler
>>> circuit rewired, the boiler replaced and then save up some
more (and
>>> plan) for the major rewire later.
>>>
>>> HTH
>>>
>>> Regards