Re: Re: NAS recommendations? - was 'Watchdog software?'

Marcus Warrington wrote:

> ..this got me thinking, since it can run Debian.. I wonder if it could
be used as a X10.. xAP controller/gateway?

> Connecting a CM12 (or whatever the USB version is called.. although I
think there is even a hardware hack to add a serial port) to the Slug, and
having it monitor for X10 signals and then

> repeat these onto the Ethernet as xAP messages... and visa versa. I
could have XLobby simply send a xAP message to turn the light on and then
have the slug actually send the X10 message, rather than having Xlobby
configured to send the actual X10 message.

I guess this is very do-able but I have no Linux expertise.   It's an
attractively priced base unit I must admit.  Intrigued you have XLobby
configured to send X10 directly as I didn't know it could do that. I
thought it required Girder, xAP or HomeSeer (Fletch).

Just for info if you want a solution now(ish)..  The opn232 from
www.opnode.org will handle X10/xAP using a CM12U -  it's a standalone
small embedded device. It will be lower cost than the xAP/1-wire opnode
but it will still cost quite a bit more than a 'Slug' (based on
estimated price as it's currently in beta).   In the future adding X10
support to my other xAP gateways is planned (space permitting) as I have
a spare serial port for this and/or maybe a 'Meteor' CID unit.  There is
also a Meteor/Pegasus/xAP CallerID/dialler  embedded standalone device
imminent (beta currently)  at around £60 which works very nicely with
xAP Switchboard