Re: NAS recommendations? - was 'Watchdog software?'

  • Subject: Re: NAS recommendations? - was 'Watchdog software?'
  • From: "liakakos" <ukha@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 10:24:08 -0000

Currently, I run a 1GHz VIA Lex Neo running Linux as my fileserver. It
uses about 15W power with 512MB of RAM, an internal 80GB 2.5in drive,
and a USB attached 120GB 2.5in drive. It also runs a couple of virtual
machines hosting my web and mail servers, so not bad on the power
front. It should be said, that this is no rocketship setup, but I use
it for everything but streaming video. If you crave a bit more
performance, then I'm sure a few of these 2.5in drives in a RAID setup
would suffice. These drives can sustain data rates above 30MB/s
(enough to saturate all but gigabit networks), but only use about 3W.
Granted, they cost a bit more, and don't go as big as their 3.5in cousins.

My 'node 0' currently has two of these little Lex boxes (failover
cluster), a Netgear switch, a Buffalo Gigastation, two Lantronix
MSS-100s and a Belkin UPS, using up 88W which I reckon is pretty good.
Its helped to cut my electricity usage from when I was running this on
a twin Athlon MP2800 + twin Xeon 2800 from 26kWh/day to 15kWh/day -
saving me more than enough to pay for the dinky PCs.

PS, Lex's available from http://www.linitx.com (no affiliation).

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Marcus Warrington
<marcus.warrington@...> wrote:

> Thanks Andy, I'll take a proper look tonight.
>=20
>=20=20
>=20
> Marcus=20
>=20
> Ps... sorry about hijacking the 'Watchdog' thread, I forgot to
change the subject when I initially posted :-(

<http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=3DMain_Page>=20

> Andy
>
> On 30/04/07, Marcus Warrington <marcus.warrington@...
<mailto:marcus.warrington%40mis-es.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > As part of on going drive to reduce my electric bill (currently
paying
> > =A3111 a month!) I'm thinking of getting some kind of low powered
NAS device
> > to use
> > as a server for video and music.
> >
> > Currently all the movies and mp3's reside in the MP3 jukebox
machine (old
> > 800 Duron running XP + XLobby). If I can move the data off onto a
NAS then
> > this machine can go into suspend/hibernate mode when no one is
playing
> > music.
> >
> > Does anyone have any recommendations for a reasonable, cheap NAS
?

> > I'm currently looking at the NSLU2 "slug". Its cheap
and plenty
of hacks..
> > My main concern is bandwidth.. when playing movies to multiple
XBOXES