From: Chris Hunter [mailto:cjhunter@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 06 March 2007 00:31
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: [ukha_d] [OT] 3G 'phones

'E61 & 'Z560 ... well ... we're half-way there ... both are up &
running,
and acting as modems for our old Powerbook G4, both via Bluetooth ...
pretty
fast, too - in round-numbers, that means about one-hundred times faster
than
with the 56k' analogue modem we previously used with the laptop, on a big
download ... using lauch2net, albeit we had to go from v1.5.7 to v1.5.9
before either 'phone was recognised, and for the moment we have to use the
'E61 configuration also for the 'Z560 ... which means no HSDPA on the 'Z560
for the moment ... and switching between 'phones sometimes requires
restarts
& reconfiguring ...
NovaMedia are working on the bugs ...  and we should get a further
five-times speed improvement, on the 'Z560, when they're done ...

'quite like both 'phones ... 'E61 build-quality excellent, 'Z560 'good,
both
are small & neat & light, 'E61 keyboard & display excellent,
'Z560 keyboard
& display good, both have reasonable UI ... 'though, on both icons
&
headings are large & wasteful of space, connectivity on the 'E61 is
awfully
fragmented (all over the hierarchy - infuriating), and zooming is not as
accessible as it should be / not always available where it would be useful
... and browsing on the 'Z560 is not really usable, plus its hi-res screen
is really just decorative (it's a match for that on 'E61, but mostly it
might as well not be) ...

'E61 = good smartphone / PDA & broadband modem ...

'Z560 = good clam-shell 'phone & super-fast broadband modem ...

... I would say !

'hope they improve / develop the software ... there's some way to go !

'could really do with some good encryption add-ons, too, to protect
individual files ...

Chris