RE: CBus wiring

I don't believe the mains outer on this cable is _intended_ to provide
any degree of protection from mains interference induced into the cable
by parallel runs, nor do I anticipate that it actually would provide
much (any?) such protection in practice.

The intended purpose of the mains rated outer is to comply with SELV
wiring regs which prohibit placing mains & SELV wiring into the same
enclosure (i.e. a consumer unit, or a lightswitch backbox) without
physical separation between them. This, as far as I know, is the only
design criteria for the mains rated sheath. It basically makes it
"legal" to wire up the CBUS units as they need to be... - i.e.
modules
require both mains wiring, and CBUS network wiring in order to work, and
they're also designed to be DIN mounted.. - so you typically would need
to have the CAT5 & mains being routed around in the same consumer unit
type enclosure. It would hardly be sensible for clipsal to design
something that pretty much required you to use "dangerous" wiring
practices now would it?... :-)

Ordinary CAT5 cable will "work" absolutely as well as CBUS pink
cable,
but if you grab a piece of CAT5 cable & get a 240V jolt off of it,
that's your look-out!

As ever, I am not an electrician, to exact details well bear some
clarification from someone who is...

Paul G.

Of Paul Gale
> Sent: 05 March 2007 12:02
> To: UKHA_D Group
> Subject: RE: [ukha_d] CBus wiring
>
> Maybe one for Phil...
>

> What's the advantage of the 240V rated sheath on the CBus cabling?
Does this mean it does away with
> any potential mains interference and can be run next to and parallel
to mains wiring?

> If using standard unshielded Cat5 on the CBus network - how
susceptible is this to interference?

> Paul.
>

> > It's 240v rated sheath.
> >
> > As for the T&E - yes . I even use it as the final 1 metre run
some