From: Stuart Poulton
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Sent: 02 March 2007 15:50
Subject: Re: [ukha_d] ADSL Max upgrades

Hi Simon,

> I'm paying for 2Mbps and getting a 1/10th of that. Wouldn't be so bad
if
> I only paid them a 1/10th of the invoice.
> Nightmare!

This unfortionatly is a common misconception with ADSL MAX, what you're
paying for is the connection , and some amount of monthly download. There
is no guarnatee of speed or quality of service. To quote from the demon
website

"Refers to maximum downstream line speeds only. The actual speed you
experience will be subject to certain conditions and depends on a number of
factors, including your distance from the telephone exchange and the
quality
of the wiring in between
"

Yes you should probably be getting better performance and there are things
that can be done to improve this, for example fitting a better quality
filters, and reviewing the wiring within the premises. Getting BT to do
relevant line checks etc, selecting a different router / modem.

It's also true that different ISP's have different level of expertise and
support.

Personally I use A&A http://www.aaisp.net who imho have support
second to
none, including a very active IRC channel.

irc server: irc.nixhelp.org
chan: #a&a

Drop in and have a chat to folks, oh and while you're there theres the UKHA
Chat Channel, #ukha.

Cheers

Stuart