Re: In-wall controllers

  • Subject: Re: In-wall controllers
  • From: "rb_ziggy" <rb.lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 01:20:59 -0000

I've got a USB keyboard attached to the USB KVM extender as described
in the original message.  The video also goes over that.  The problem
I had with that device is that the USB 'M' (Mouse) did not carry the
USB touchscreen protocol.  That's why I had to get the 'proper' USB
extender as well.  So, yes, with these devices, USB can be run over=20
cat5 cabling.=20=20

The software drivers for the touchscreen controller does come with the
touchscreen (I guess that's why the KVM does not recognise it as a
simple mouse).=20=20

However,the HA software is different.  I use XLobby (freeware) but
there are other applications in this space.  I tried XLobby originally
as it was free and it turned out that it did the job I needed so I
never tried others.

Richard

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Peter and Jane" <pandj.munnoch@...>
wrote:

> Thanks for all that!
> Is software for a touch screen usually included, or is there a
standard application that does it?. I hadn't considered venturing this
far! From your posting I have now learned about vga extenders via cat
5e. My other question is still can a keyboard (say usb) be run via cat
5e? I have found active USB extenders, but think these need usb cable
(whatever structure that is) If I need to bury USB cable in the wall I
had better do it now
wrote:
>   >
>   > Hi
>   > This is my "maiden posting" on this forum. I have
been active on UK
>   Selfbuild for several years. Eventually started building on Isle of
>   Wight in 2005 (retirement project). Hope to move in this year.
>   Currently living on site in a caravan.
>   > I have been lurking on this list for several weeks and see
several
>   UKSB names.
>   > Although I am a "techie" I hadn't planned much HA.
Started with 6
>   channel Lutron Graphic Eye for living area. (thanks Chris Hunter for
>   the lead). Then chose Powermax + alarm, which introduced X10. Now
>   have 2 DIN rail consumer units and a certain amount of HA (thanks
>   Gareth Cook via eBay for plug-ins). With plug ins I can do lights
but
>   also turn the compressor off from the caravan in the middle of the
>   night...big improvement when it is raining!).
>   > I bought a 9U cabinet for node zero and flood wired cat5e. Wife
>   (Jane) thes suggested music system goes in the "study" so
now I have a
>   42U cabinet and loudspeaker wires everywhere. First fix wiring is
>   nearly done.
>   >=20
>   > So UHKA "diehard"...could be...it is getting harder
to see where I
>   am going and I am dieing to know how to get there!!!
>   >=20
>   > That is the intro. Now my point re the thread.
>   > A friend has just had a mini touchscreen music etc system
installed.
>   GBP20k+ which makes it about 2 orders of magnitude more than by
budget!
>   > I will have a cobbled together music system and server in
another
>   room. I was wondering about a "control station" in the
living room.
>   Assuming a touch screen wall panel is "over budget" I had
wondered
>   about a 5 or 7 inch display (digital photo frame...some have a usb
>   input...could that be used??) and a small keyboard (I think you can
>   get a rubber one...used on boat pc installations). Question is can a
>   screen and a keyboard be connected via cat 5e to a remote pc. I have
>   never looked inside a usb cable to see the structure. Has anyone on
>   the list gone this way?=20
>   > Rgds
>   > Peter
>   > ----- Original Message -----=20
thinking =A3400-ish
>   > I guess I want graphical touch screen control to send
>   IR/RS232/HTTP and display status changes.=20
>   > I have thought about gutting an Ipac or mounting a small touch
>   screen with a hidden nano itx. Just something a bit better looking
>   that the Zanware jobbie
>   > This looked kinda cool
>   http://www.cepro.com/magazine/article/17436.html
but wasn't sure they