Raid5 Blues

  • Subject: Raid5 Blues
  • From: aashram <groups@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 10:31:29 +0000

I have had a crazy sequence of events on my raid5 media server

I am using a lsi megaraid 150-6 sata controller with 6 drives
drives 1 to 5 are the raid and drive 6 hotspare.

While working I had 2 drives (YUK!) drives 1 and 3 show as failed - I
checked the media errors count and there were none. I read an article
saying
this can happen. So I put the drives back on line. The hotspare had not
kicked in but Everything was ok as I could see my data.

Then another drive showed as failed and the hotspare kicked in. I could
still see my data. Rebuild rate was30% so it didn't get very far when soon
after that the original 2 drives went to failed. I nearly passed out!

The current situation is the drive is seen my windows and mounted to a
drive
letter but when I go to read it it freezes explorer. The raid configuration
is different. Whereas before drives 1 to 5 were my raid5 and 6 my hotspare
The configuration shows now drives 1,2,4,5,6 is the raid and drive 3 is
showing as available.

I have logged a call with lsi and Level 2 are hopefully gonna ring me.

I was wondering if I went into the configuration on card and setup the
seuence back to what it was originally what are the odds of it all working
again ?