From: rb_ziggy=20
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx=20
Sent: Tuesday, February 27, 2007 7:57 PM
Subject: [ukha_d] Re: In-wall controllers

Peter

Welcome. There are a few self build HA types here, myself included.=20

I've wired in a touchscreen to a pc via cat5 cabling and a vga
extender (for the screen) and a usb extender. (Actually this needs 2
cat 5 cables) Look up the messagge below for my experiences!

128258=20

Hope this helps

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Peter and Jane" <pandj.munnoch@...>
wrote=
:

> Hi
> This is my "maiden posting" on this forum. I have been
active on UK
Selfbuild for several years. Eventually started building on Isle of
Wight in 2005 (retirement project). Hope to move in this year.
Currently living on site in a caravan.
> I have been lurking on this list for several weeks and see several
UKSB names.
> Although I am a "techie" I hadn't planned much HA. Started
with 6
channel Lutron Graphic Eye for living area. (thanks Chris Hunter for
the lead). Then chose Powermax + alarm, which introduced X10. Now
have 2 DIN rail consumer units and a certain amount of HA (thanks
Gareth Cook via eBay for plug-ins). With plug ins I can do lights but
also turn the compressor off from the caravan in the middle of the
night...big improvement when it is raining!).
> I bought a 9U cabinet for node zero and flood wired cat5e. Wife
(Jane) thes suggested music system goes in the "study" so now I
have a
42U cabinet and loudspeaker wires everywhere. First fix wiring is
nearly done.
>=20
> So UHKA "diehard"...could be...it is getting harder to see
where I
am going and I am dieing to know how to get there!!!
>=20
> That is the intro. Now my point re the thread.
> A friend has just had a mini touchscreen music etc system installed.
GBP20k+ which makes it about 2 orders of magnitude more than by budget!
> I will have a cobbled together music system and server in another
room. I was wondering about a "control station" in the living
room.
Assuming a touch screen wall panel is "over budget" I had
wondered
about a 5 or 7 inch display (digital photo frame...some have a usb
input...could that be used??) and a small keyboard (I think you can
get a rubber one...used on boat pc installations). Question is can a
screen and a keyboard be connected via cat 5e to a remote pc. I have
never looked inside a usb cable to see the structure. Has anyone on
the list gone this way?=20
> Rgds
> Peter
> ----- Original Message -----=20
our meeting rooms, which got me thinking....surely there must a more
affordable option for me at home?
> The word "affordable" can be relative but I was thinking
=A3400-ish
> I guess I want graphical touch screen control to send
IR/RS232/HTTP and display status changes.=20
> I have thought about gutting an Ipac or mounting a small touch
screen with a hidden nano itx. Just something a bit better looking
that the Zanware jobbie
> This looked kinda cool
http://www.cepro.com/magazine/article/17436.html
but wasn't sure they