Latest message you have seen: Re: What did Santa Bring?

Cheapest quiet way to download things...

  • Subject: Cheapest quiet way to download things...
  • From: "seniorsimon" <simon.ryley@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 15:25:58 -0000

I've recently discovered the joy of torrents. ( I know, very late for
a member of this group) and I am now looking at a way to quietly have
a machine on all the time to do the downloading.
The main pc is too noisy and running a 350W PSU seems silly for a
simple job.
I've currently got a NSLU2 running which is great as it only consumes
9W of power all the time and is silent.  However the torrent clients
available for it aren't liked by some of the private sites such as the
box cos they don't deliver accurate stats.  Cross compiling a good
client for the slug is way beyond my current knowledge, so I'm
thinking a small quiet pc that can a standard linux distro.

Question is, is mini-itx my only option, and whats the cheapest I can
get a headless machine for?
Or should I just get an old laptop and use that instead?

Anyone else got any suggestions for things they have done?

Cheers,

Simon