Fw: Re: New Sky HD server

  • Subject: Fw: Re: New Sky HD server
  • From: Gareth Cook <g@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 14:14:21 +0100

Still a sky-only system tho ?

What would be nice is to specify your own NAS - and then pull back from
there. Sky Dig decodes on playback only so all data is stored in it's
original encyrpted format.

Support would be an issue tho being more open - but that's a more
appealling solution. The whole point of a NAS is shared storage.

G.

Gareth Cook
IT Architect / Project Manager, SWG Sales Europe
Office: +44 (0)1784 445166 - Mobile: +44 (0)7980 445166
email: g@xxxxxxx

----- Forwarded by Gareth Cook/UK/IBM on 12/06/2007 14:06 -----

Discussion
Main Topic

ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Today 11:14

.
Subject:
.
[ukha_d] Re: New Sky HD server
.
Category:

Oh blimey - I'd just talked the missus into going for Sky HD. How am I
going to explain this one :-)

Joking asise, looks like it could be promising but lots will depend on
price for the unit and, probably inevitably knowing Sky, the increased
subscription. Mind you, I put in a loftbox based RF distribution
system as a temporary solution in our house as I couldn't find a
distribution system that did what I wanted at the time.

2 years later we're still using it to distribute Sky, Sky+, a third
Sky box dedicated to radio channels and MP3 (with Mainlobby info
screen ) playback via a modulator from my media server. Although we
don't have any big screens (largest is 23" LCD) being fed from it I'm
struggling to convince myself that I need to spend a fortune upgrading
it !

Kevin W.

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Maccy <maccy@...> wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Jun 2007, Simon Coates wrote:
> > I've just been talking to a Sky subby and he said that next year
Sky
> > will be launching a HD server.  4 LNB inputs, 4 cat 5 outputs,
1Tb
> > storage and the facility to record up to 8 channels at once.
Server
> > will distribute TV round the house to cat5/HDMI boxes.
>
> Yes, Sky working on something based on this...
>
> http://www.pacemicro.com/corporate/products/productDetails.asp?
nav=products&productID=GENERIC-Multiroom

> Mark

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.