Re: Beginners guide to choosing CCTV system and positioning cameras

Ian -

that's useful ... especially the practical test ... I bought a 60GBP=20=20
dome camera in an attempt to find a datum from which to work ... need=20=20
to assemble the PC first, though !

Chris

On 11 Jun 2007, at 10:33, ian.bird@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Being a newbie into this myself recently here is what I have=20=20
> learnt. My
> needs were a little different to yours so this is simply a=20=20
> narrative of my
> experiences.
>
> 1) The DVR. I bought this one
> <http://www.iviewcameras.co.uk/IV_AVTECH_760ZCCTVSystemsdeals.htm>
> from these guys. Delivery was prompt and they were helpful when I was
> asking questions early on. As for the unit. It works and produces
> recordings. I have not tried any of the features like motion=20=20
> sensing etc.
> My one overriding impression is the interface to it is abysmal. The
> technology seems tens of years old and simply applied to modern
> electronics. The instruction manual is not that great either.=20=20
> Things are a
> little better through the Web interface but not much. I am still
> struggling with it. At the same time I have managed to take some=20=20
> film so
> not a complete loss. It's worth noting that they forgot to
include=20=20
> some
> connectors in the 'kit' but these were sent on to me promptly
after=20=20
> just a
> phone call. This was good ;-)
>
> 2) Cameras. I have several from various sources and the
requirement=20=20
> for
> the resulting pictures should dictate the ones you get not the=20=20
> price. I
> have some 520 line ones from my on bike cam setup and these give
a=20=20
> good
> picture. Some others are 420 and 480 line. The 480 are colour
and=20=20
> night
> B&W as well. As long as you don't need great detail these are
fine.=20=20
> I have
> been using them to track slugs on the vegetable garden and they
are=20=20
> just
> passable for this. I shot at 3fps (the slowest it would go as motion
> sensing was not an option) and played back at either 16 or 32=20=20
> speed. Your
> plants vanish quite quickly at that rate but the slugs are easy
to=20=20
> track.
> I think there is a limit somewhere in the recording setup when=20=20
> better and
> flashier cameras will no longer help. It's worth checking the
max=20=20
> TV lines
> the recorder can support before it starts dropping info.
>
> With cameras the cheaper they are the worse they are it seems=20=20
> particularly
> around the less obvious areas e.g. coping with high contrast or
> backlighting. With experience now the minimum I would use is 480
TV=20=20
> lines.
> I cannot recommend any though as I simply don't know enough about it.
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Ian
>

> Chris Hunter <cjhunter@xxxxxxx>
> Sent by: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
> 08/06/2007 17:51
> Please respond to
> ukha_d@xxxxxxx

> ukha_d@xxxxxxx
> cc
>
> Subject
> Re: [ukha_d] Beginners guide to choosing CCTV system and positioning
> cameras
>

> Dave -
>
> not an answer, I'm afraid, but we're asking ourselves the same
> questions !!
>
> Chris
>

> On 7 Jun 2007, at 09:20, Dave Ward wrote:
>
>> I'm in the process of thinking about CCTV and wondered if anyone
had
>> come across any good resources for getting started and positioning
>> cameras?
>>
>> I know a bit about cameras, but it's been a while since I looked
at
>> small CCTV  cameras, so I don't really know what the quality of
the
>> sub
>> =A3100 cameras are now. Has anyone seen a decent CCTV camera
comparison
>> site with sample images?
>>
>> Once I've worked the position of the cameras and how many I need
I=20=20
>> can
>> think about what to connect them to.
>>

>> I want both recording remote viewing via mobile phone (via Web or
>> Email)
>> so my main choices as I see it are
>>
>> * Standalone DVR with network interface
>>
>>  I see the standalone system as potentially being the quickest
>>  setup,  most reliable, and possibly the lowest running cost.
>>
>> * Commercial PC based Card e.g. Geovision
>>
>>  The Geovison I see as slightly more work to set up, I'd have to
>> provide
>>  a PC so minimum spec and power consumption are questions here.
>>
>> * Open Source PC based e.g. Zoneminder
>>
>>  Zoneminder is attractive because of cost although I'd donate to
the
>>  developer if I used it, and I'd have to buy a frame grabber.
It=20=20
>> also
>>  seems flexible, but potentially a nightmare to set up even with a
CD