Beginners guide to choosing CCTV system and positioning cameras

  • Subject: Beginners guide to choosing CCTV system and positioning cameras
  • From: Dave Ward <DFHWukha@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 09:20:37 +0100

I'm in the process of thinking about CCTV and wondered if anyone had
come across any good resources for getting started and positioning cameras?

I know a bit about cameras, but it's been a while since I looked at
small CCTV  cameras, so I don't really know what the quality of the sub
£100 cameras are now. Has anyone seen a decent CCTV camera comparison
site with sample images?

Once I've worked the position of the cameras and how many I need I can
think about what to connect them to.

I want both recording remote viewing via mobile phone (via Web or Email)
so my main choices as I see it are

* Standalone DVR with network interface

I see the standalone system as potentially being the quickest
setup,  most reliable, and possibly the lowest running cost.

* Commercial PC based Card e.g. Geovision

The Geovison I see as slightly more work to set up, I'd have to provide
a PC so minimum spec and power consumption are questions here.

* Open Source PC based e.g. Zoneminder

Zoneminder is attractive because of cost although I'd donate to the
developer if I used it, and I'd have to buy a frame grabber.  It also
seems flexible, but potentially a nightmare to set up even with a CD
distro.

Note: I'd sit the system on a UPS to help iron out mains glitches

Does anyone have any positive (or negative) comments on the the use of
the above systems ?

Thanks

Dave