Plug In Themostate Thingy ?

  • Subject: Plug In Themostate Thingy ?
  • From: "Marc R. Fuller" <groups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 15:23:02 +0100

Hey Guys,

I have a brooder that I use for raising chicks. The brooder works ok,
but needs constant monitoring. If the ambient room temperature gets too
high then the temperature in the brooder rises to dangerous levels and
the only way to keep it right is to move the lamp. That's fine, but a
pain in the bum when your doing it 5 times a day or need to go out.

So,  true to this list, I am looking for a way to automate it.

The brooder is basically just a heat lamp with a plug on the end. What I
want is some sort of thermostat that will keep the temperature inside
the brooder constant at the temperature I set it to by turning the lamp
on or off. The trouble is I can't seem to find something that would
work. I can't have anything large or electrical inside the brooder for
obvious reasons so it would probably need a remote temperature sensor.

I thought of using my Das3145 temperature sensor but that required me
running a new cable to the brooder and then entrusting that the homeseer
server does not crash.... lots of little lives depend on it :\

Anyone have any ideas or know of any out of the box solutions that are
relatively cheap ?

cheers !

Marc