Re: [OT] Backups

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Ho Yin Ng"
<architect.hoyin@...> wrote:

> Wow everyones system sounds so complicated? Or is it just me?
>
> Surely you want the easiest method that requires the least input by
the
> user?
>
> You all know what happens in an office environment - no one can be
arsed to
> do anything.
>
> I use 2 x firewire drives and do weekly backups of the entire server.
>
> Then we use tapes for a daily incremental which are taken home every
night -
> though now I have started setting it up so that it does a daily
incremental
> backup to a secure online server.
>
> Then in Windows Server 2003 we have the auto recover system setup so
that
> users can right click on any files or folders and beable to restore
files
> immediately should they make a mistake. This aleviates the need to
have
> yesterdays backup in the office should someone forget to bring the
tape in.

> So apart from the tapes (which we are phasing out) the only user
interaction
> is a weekly backup which my office manager or I take home evrey week
for
> safe keeping.
>
> It is cheap and seems to work well.
>
> Ho yin

Tape backups, disk backups, and manual offsiting. That actually sounds
more complicated than most of the suggestions on here ;-)

As you say, "you want the easiest method that requires the least input
by the user". Unless you have a dedicated techie, having to swap tapes
and plug external drives in weekly isn't ideal, and, trust me, small
non-technical companies soon forget to regularly perform these tasks,
which is why it's best to engineer around them.

Your Windows 2003 solution is very sensible and something more
companies should implement, however by not offsiting daily, you do
risk losing a week's worth of work, but depending on what you do, this
may not be a problem.