Re: {Disarmed} Fw: Network media player

  • Subject: Re: {Disarmed} Fw: Network media player
  • From: Ian Oliver <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2007 08:32:05 +0100

In article <465F57BE.3060309@xxxxxxx>, LeeUKHA wrote:
> Come on then... Specs... prices... etc.... :)

OK, Geexbox PC now built. It works *really* well. Geexbox is a dream to
use and configure, and the UI design and speed knocks the socks off the
embedded/dedicated boxes that I've tried. It takes about 30 seconds
from power on to being ready to use, but I can strip unwanted drivers
and trim a whole load off this.

The imon remote works really well, with remote power on/off working
nicely. Video output quality is pretty good via composite and
*tremendous* via VGA. I plugged into my 1366x768 panel, started the
experimental HDTV version of geexbox, and it drove it at 1360x768
straight "out of the box".

I haven't gone the low noise route, but it's all going in the cupboard
under the stairs, so who cares?

Sadly, the price is still rising and the new mobo is 1.5V AGA only and
the old ATI TV OUT card I was going to use is 3.3V AGA only. But I just
won a Radeon 9200SE DVI/TV on eBay for £13.50, so it's still not
breaking the bank. This card is widely reported to be able to get its
dot clock down below 15MHz and do composite sync, so I should be able
to get RGB SCART from it.

I reckon that the final cost will be £140, but for this I get
something
that's highly configurable, capable of HDTV, able to do composite, RGB
SCART, VGA, DVI etc. has 5.1 audio, etc.

Ian Oliver
Sunny Leeds, UK
Using Java on Tini for control via Dallas 1-wire