[OT] ish Router Advice (dual network isolation)

  • Subject: [OT] ish Router Advice (dual network isolation)
  • From: Kevin Hawkins <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2007 15:08:08 +0100

Having never needed so far to do this before... I'll ask...

I have a visitor staying for a few months who would like to use the
internet and has a couple of PC's / devices . I would like to
'absolutely' isolate my home intranet from his by putting him on a
totally separate subnet such that he can't see or access any of my
devices (and vv)  but so he can still access the internet via my cable
connection. He wont have physical access to my wired segment but he
would prefer his own wired segment to wireless.  He's quite technically
savvy and so well capable of altering his configured Ip or subnet to
broaden it so can I do this securely using fairly standard routers and
switches - or do I need a specific dual network interface type ?

Current setup: I have a cable modem which attaches to a Vigor 2900VG and
then I distribute to either some NetGear FSM726S managed switches or
Dell PowerConnect 2724 Managed switches.  I use WiFi from the 2900VG
too. I use NAT provided by the cable router and I do have a spare
Linksys router BEFSR41 if that helps.

If he want's VPN does that cause an issue ?