Re: [OT] Backups

  • Subject: Re: [OT] Backups
  • From: "Paul Bendall" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2007 11:37:42 -0000

Chris,

Backup tapes are the same be that DAT, DLT, LTO all are supposed to be
recalled, data restored, tape thrown, new tape used for backing up the
data again. The cycle for this is recommended at 3 years. Another
reason to use hard-disks, in an array with hot-spares you just replace
disks as and when they fail. But I am still talking about a backup
based HDD array rather than production which may also be RAID.

Most companies now use SAN or NAS technology with a Snap technology for
day to day backups. These capture just the disk deltas (changes)
compared with the last Snap at a block level. The Snap is both fast to
take and restore and the size of each Snap is relatively small. Monthly
backups are then taken to allow for historic restores or
investigations. The data retention period is commonly 7 years and each
company has a different take on what they do and publish.

Paul