RE: [OT] Backups

The thing is, the days of "big tape drives" are over IMO ...

... a "big" tape drive is hugely expensive (as are the tapes
themselves) an=
they also need regular maintenance (cleaning etc.) - I'd be the first to
sa=
that I love seeing a tape drive churning away but the reality nowadays is
that for most small businesses they're just completely uneconomical!

1Tb hard discs are listing at about =A3230 (500Gb hard discs seemed to have
touched down at about =A370) so I honestly think that the way to go is
back=
ing
up to hard disc and then simply remove them from site regularly.

I guess how the strategy is implemented would have to depend on just how
much work the guy can afford to lose in one hit ... i.e. how much of a
fallback position does he need. If he reckons he can afford to lose a weeks
worth then he could just keep a few rotating full backups that are done
every weekend (say) or maybe a full backup every weekend and a nightly
incremental?

Phil