Disaster Recovery

  • Subject: Disaster Recovery
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 11:55:34 +0100

With all the current flooding going on I was wondering if anyone had
made
"Disaster Recovery" plans for their homes, in particular with
regard to the
HA features.

We all tend to have an "abnormal" (by most peoples standards)
amount of
technology in our homes and I am guessing that it may be very difficult to
make an insurance claim for some of the more "exotic" kit and in
the case of
painstakingly built custom hardware probably impossible.

Insurance companies are well know for trying everything possible to avoid
paying out but routine items like white goods and furniture should be
relatively easy to claim for.

I think the best plan of action would be to save documents and personal
effects first as these are totally irreplaceable followed by moving
treasured items of technology, then if time permits the rest of the stuff.

I suspect that there are probably several people on this list who will be
affected in one way or another given the number of people on the list and
the huge numbers of people currently suffering the horrors of both flood
and
drought at the same time.

I was looking at the EA website yesterday and according to their flood maps
I am safe from flooding but would have to declare independence from the
rest
of the UK as we would become an island !!!!

Keith