Latest message you have seen: RE: [OT] Microsoft Action Pack Renewal

Re: [OT] : Great Global Warming Swindle

It may not be HA but I'm not letting that lot go by unchallenged.

The problem with the Global Warming campaign is that it is overhyped.
It would be ludicrous to claim that we make no difference, but to assign
every woe to Global Warming as is happenning at the moment is hysterical
nonsense, and is already starting to cause people to question it.

There have been many Julys with more rain and worse floods in past
centuries, so it is not necessarily the case that global warming is the
cause.  In fact, most climate predictions expect our summers to be drier.

And yes, I would prefer to have a qualified surgeon operate on me than
some bloke off the street, but climatolagists are hardly in the same
league as surgeons when it comes to predicting outcomes.  Surgeons ahve
experience with hundreds of patients, with climate we have one patient
and no knowledge of how things will turn out - it's just a guess.  Only
thirty years ago, the bulk of scientific opinion held that we were
headed for an ice age - back then you would no doubt also unthinkingly
follow the mob and argue that we should heat the world up less we all
freeze.  Just imagine how you'd feel now if we'd done that!  The point
is that a majority opinion, even an "expert" one, is not
necessarily
correct.

Even if you could do the impossible and cut emissions by, say, 50%, all
you would achieve would be the burning of all the oil in 200 years
instead of 100.  That's not going to make any difference.  There is also
a huge lag between cause and effect.  If global warming is really
occurring, then all we can do is deal with the consequences.  The
current obsession with trying to prevent it is futile.

Finally, why would anyone be so arrogant as to claim that the current
climate the optimum one?  The Earth has had a wide variety of climates
over the millenia, why should this one be correct, and the others
wrong?  Maybe a warmer world will have more rain and be more lush,
supporting a wider diversity of life?  Certainly it was warmer during
the time of the dinosaurs (and there was much more CO2 in the air), and
if the land could support such huge creatures, there must have been
something right with the climate back then.

Mal