Latest message you have seen: RE: Re: Bathroom project - Cbus style lighting system....1 room only though!!

X10 signal problems

  • Subject: X10 signal problems
  • From: "robin_edw" <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 10:38:19 -0000

Over the last months I've made a number of changes, new AMP, sons PC
upgrade, low wattage lights, kettle etc.  During that process my X10
control of shower lights and amp that controls slimp3/bathroom
speakers has failed.  Due to other pressures I've not gotten around to
looking at it until now.  I seem to have acquired a number of X10
signal suckers.  I was interested to know from the rest of the list if
others are having similar problems and if the X10 filters work well.

Also in the process I seem to have discovered that a 7243 is more
powerful than a CM12, could that be?  My first testing was from my PC,
but to save keep running back to study I moved the 7243 around with
me, once it worked in a location near to the x10 device I moved the
7243 further and further away (cable-wise), ending up in the study.

My conclusions (quite prepared to be proven wrong)
1: 7243 signals seem stronger than CM12 signals
2: More expensive items (top of range) seem to be better signal
suckers than cheap things.
3: Larger wattage devices are better signal suckers than low wattage
(could be related to 2: or is the real truth and 2: is of no relevance.
4: Its damn hard to diagnose and takes along time, I ended up
unplugging all electrical appliances and all bulbs
5: Cold cathode lamps (eg Robus RCCGUSW) suck signals when on
6: Some devices (our new washing machine) seems to suck signals when
running, but when just plugged in and powered on is a partial block
such the 7243 works but not the CM12.

I'm going to try some filters but back to my original questions, have
I got this right and any other suggestions for improvement?

regards. robin