Latest message you have seen: RE: Bathroom project - Cbus style lighting system....1 room only though!!

RE: AppleTV and OSX...

> > In case anyone was interested in it, it seems that they got
> > the Apple TV to run OSX some time ago and it looks a pretty
> > simple process to do it.
>
> OS X in 256 meg sounds like fun. Better off with a 2nd hand MacMini
> probably.

Depends what you want it to do ... if you want to use it as a PC then yes
but the Mac Mini doesn't have HDMI (OK it has DVI) or component video. The
older G4 Mac Minis don't have a digital audio output (as far as I know) and
as a dedicated media playback device 256Mb should be more than enough - OSX
doesn't seem to have half the footprint that XP or Vista have. The Mac mini
is also twice the price of an AppleTV and has an external PSU.

> The hacks to add DivX etc look more useful.

Again, depends on what you want it to do - I know you have a collection of
DivX files that you want to play but there's no place for DivX in anywhere
in my setup ... I know you also like "one box does it all"
solutions (i.e.
XBMC) and don't object to bits of user interface that remind you that
you're
still using skinned-over PCs or PC-type hardware whereas if I see any
reference to a network folder, a mention of a filename, a hint of a
"\" or a
"/" or any clue as to recordings residing "somewhere"
turns me off
completely!

Phil