Latest message you have seen: Re: RE: XBOX Softmod - there *IS* a god, - and he effing hates me!

RE: [OT] Can a dodgy power socket burn out HDD's?

This is a nightmare - it burnt out 5 drives!!!

PSU +5V and +12V look OK. What else could it be? I'm wondering if it's the
drive enclosures now...

Paul.

Xeons
> > and a
> > RAID 0 array of WD Raptor HDD's. After fully assembling it
yesterday
> on
> > couple of reboots I got a strong smell of burning capacitor/IC.
Turns
> > out
> > that I've burnt out 2 of the Raptors and one older SATA HDD :-(
> >
> > The power supply is an expensive Thermaltake 1000W EPS12V PSU and
the
> > drives
> > are in Icy Dock SATA RAID caddies.
> >
> > Wasn't really sure what was causing the problem - except the
drives
> > burnt
> > out in both caddies, so unless there's a batch/common/short in
both,
> > I'm
> > guessing it's unlikely to be them at fault???
> >
> > Later on, I turned on a PC amp connected to another PC and all my
> > monitors
> > flicked off - odd I thought. Investigating further traced the
problem
> > to a
> > faulty Belkin surge protector power strip which was arcing in the
> main
> > power
> > switch.
> >
> > So the big question is - Is it possible for a dodgy mains
connection
> > adversely affect a PSU and cause it to maybe spike on the
+5v/+12V
> > rails and
> > burn out components like this?
> >
> > I'm RMAing the drives and have set up an RMA for the PSU too -
but
> > hesitant
> > whether to power up remaining drives, thinking the problem (may)
be