RE: Sat on a Toilet Sensor ?

Hi Marcus

I expect we'll survive the impending changes but thanks anyway.

On the Sensor you could program in different responses for different
distances so the sitting and sleeping vs. standing quandary could be
accommodated. I would have tried to angle the sensor more into the pan
anyway so it would not even see any standing people (John Holmes excepted
maybe). My electronics tend to run on 5 volt so dropping from 9 is no
problem.

As for strain gauges. I expect they are available with both an on/off and
a proportional output, possibly on the same gauge. I looked at them a
while back for occupancy sensing and they were not cheap then.

The biggest problem with anything on or near the bowl itself has to be
cleaning. Will it stand having toilet duck accidentally squirted on it or
being splashed with water at the very least (I assume at this point you do
clean your loos ;-))

Ian

"Marcus Warrington" <marcus.warrington@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
12/07/2007 11:59
Please respond to
ukha_d@xxxxxxx

<ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
RE: [ukha_d] Sat on a Toilet Sensor ?

Ian..

Nice to hear from you again... not so nice to hear about your impending
"no job" situation.

I had a look at the loo seat last night, and there ain't much space to
mount a wireless button press... only probably 4mm tops..

So, thinking about the ultrasonic solution again;

There is already power since the fan itself is mounted next to the
cistern behind the panel, ISTR it's a 9V transformer so the ideal would
be a controller that used the same power supply and simply tripped a
relay to power the fan (with a small overrun). I think the idea of a
timer that delayed activation is a good idea to avoid it tripping as
someone simply lifted the lid etc. In fact that's something I'd have to
check.. how high up the seat lifts, since the sensor would HAVE to be
mounted above this height to prevent the seat lid triggering it. My
concern would be the height would be such that it if you sat on the
toilet and was leaning forward (reading a book ?) , the detector would
have to be detecting at the same distance (i.e between your shoulder
blades) as someone simply stood in front of the toilet having a 'P'

Best solution may still be a strain gauge but does anyone have more info
on how they work.. i.e. do the just present a variable resistance on the
wire that is proportional to the strain on them ?

I would think it would be fairly simple to have a small hole in the
panel, that was at the bottom/back/underneath of the wall mounted toilet
bowl, and have a strain (compression) gauge mounted behind so that the
slight  leverage effect of the toilet bowl against it when someone sat
down would be detectable...???

Marcus