RE: Re: Digital TV

  • Subject: RE: Re: Digital TV
  • From: "Nigel Giddings" <nigel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 08:02:54 +0100

Paul,

=20

Running Co-ax should cover you for most legacy systems. As you say you
coul=
d distribute Digital Terrestrial this way and have a receiver at each TV
lo=
cation (probably integrated with the TV). This would also allow you to use
=
the RF2 connection on your SKY box to distribute that to the Tellys and
use=
the remote eyes by each TV to control the SKY box. Of course this means pe=
ople in other rooms could change the Sky channels you are watching so some
=
discipline is required.

=20

Make sure you buy a decent RF amp that will boost the TV and FM signals
and=
will allow IR pass-through if you intend to use the SKY box thingy. You ca=
n also build on this to remotely control a DVD, VCR or other device with a
=
modulated o/p using something like this http://tinyurl.com/2axqkw This woul=
d allow you to share, for example, a single freeview receiver across the
ho=
use to all the tellys (as long as it has a modulated o/p).

=20

All of the above is OK but you will lose quality going the modulated RF
rou=
te and adding all the bits together could cost a few bob so it may be
bette=
r to look at the design, possibly in phases, and asses the costs... You
wil=
l also have to deal with other channels on the RF system from neighbouring
=
transmitters as well as 'Taboo Channels' see Keith Doxey's explanation
here=
http://www.kat5.tv/taboo.html

=20

To answer your question re what cable you can't go far wrong with a couple
=
of CAT5e connections from each location back to the Node 0. Many systems
us=
e this as a way of sending TV, See www.kat5.tv <http://www.kat5.tv/>  for m=
ore details. Even Sky are looking at connecting TVs in the home at HD
using=
a central box (server) and 4 remote connections (HDMI?) so you can indepen=
dently watch HD TV around the house....

=20

HTH

=20