Re: Dynamic IP

Hiya 'B'

I use DynDNS.org for, not only my IP-> DNS but also my domain name too.
Never had a single outage with them over the last 5 years!

There are two types of basic services you can choose from, a Dynamic
service or Static service. The dynamic (IRC) wants an update every 27
days to reconfirm your IP - it also has a shorter TTL to cope with
frequent changes. The static service is for less frequent updates and
has a longer TTL but expects you to have the same IP for longer (I use
this type on my NTL connection).

Take a looksee over at the web site - the help sections are useful -
there are also clients you can download for your PC etc that auto update
their service with your new IP addy. (Some routers also support them
directly too!)

HTH
Wayne.

ReynoldsB wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I used to be with NTL and although the IP was dynamic I had the same
address
> for loads and loads of months.
>
> I now find myself with TalkTalk, albeit not for much longer, but I am
a bit
> worried about having a forced IP change with a new ISP just like
TalkTalk