Re: Punchdown bloack for Cat5e

  • Subject: Re: Punchdown bloack for Cat5e
  • From: "domdevitto" <dom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2007 12:15:51 -0000

5e ?

Did I miss soemthing whilst in stasis ?

I thought (even shielded) 5e was only up to 100mbit/s, full duplex.

Cat 6, now that's for GigE over copper - right?

So, if you (think) you're getting 1gbit/s over your cat5e, you're
lucky, and the punchdown has brought you back to earth with a bump.

I guess you could join a Cat6 with a suitable punchdown, but it would
need to ba special cat6 one, extending the length of each pair by the
right number of twists, like a cat6 connectors does.

Or am I gloriously in the wrong?

Dom
--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Paul Gale" <groups2@...> wrote:

> Does anyone know if you can use punchdown blocks to extend two
lengths of Cat5e and still run gigabit Ethernet through them? Is there
a special type of punchdown block available?