Re: Re: RS232 control of Denon receivers

Rob Dobson wrote:
> Kevin,
>
> When you say use IP to control it do you mean the web interface to it?
> If so i have already looked at this and do not think it is the ideal
> way to do what I want.

The receiver also has an ability to be controlled via a Telnet
connection - using much the same command set as the serial interafce
> Presumably as Girder has xAP support I can use this as a trigger to
get
> girder to do things?

Yes, but I wasn't really suggesting you should use xAP as the mechanics
for this - Girder is well capable in itself.
> I have had a look at mainlobby but it looks like it will start getting
> quite expensive quickly with all the various different bits I will
need.

Yes it's a bit of a ratchet pricewise with MainLobby too
> I downloaded an eval copy of Girder today and it does look like it
will
> take a little longer to get used to than what I have now (Harmony),
> however it looks like it will do all that I need and seems to be very
> flexible in what can also plug into it.

It is a great piece of software to allow lots of bits to work together.
I am not sure about how it might integrate with Harmony as I don't use
it myself. Depending on the sophistication of the control you may be
able to do this directly with Harmony to the Denon but the Girder
support for the Denon is no doubt much more complete.  You just need to
ensure you can get the triggers in and out as you wish.