RE: [OT] Tracing the cause of a duplicate IP

  • Subject: RE: [OT] Tracing the cause of a duplicate IP
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 09:44:05 -0000

The address in conflict will be the address assigned to the windows
machine that is reporting the error. Find this out by typing IPCONFIG
/ALL at a command prompt, which will display settings for all NICS in
the machine (including any that aren't connected). One of the addresses
listed will be the one that is duplicated elsewhere. Then use the ARP
command (use ARP /? For syntax) to find the MAC address associated with
an IP Address.

HTH

Paul G.

Of