RE: [OT] Tracing the cause of a duplicate IP

  • Subject: RE: [OT] Tracing the cause of a duplicate IP
  • From: "White, Peter" <peter.white@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 10:16:26 -0000

Same here, though my Netgear router handles static IPs differently to
the
Linksys that it's just replaced, in that I don't have to set a fixed IP on
the devices, instead I just leave them as DHCP, but reserve the IP on the
router set-up, so that when it gets an address request, it looks at the
MAC,
and then assigns either a fixed (if it's on the reserved list) or dynamic
address.  Maybe that's normal for routers these days, but it's a new one on
me.

Probably nothing to do with the issue, but I am getting a lot of lost
packets (i.e. 20-25%) when on wireless (even when the notebook is sat 3ft
from the router), which I suspect is down to a faulty router, though
Netgear
are not in full agreement, yet.

Pete