Re: What NAS device to reuse existing SATA drives?!

  • Subject: Re: What NAS device to reuse existing SATA drives?!
  • From: "noel_pilot" <HA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2007 21:03:54 -0000

Cheers Andy,=20
In saw a couple of options on ebay but I was a biti wary of very
unbranded boxes to be honest!!

at that price im better with a synology unit at about 400 for four
drives but cheers for the headsup

Its a challenge for me at the moment, im due to need to fit a lot more
boxes in my node 0 cupboard (ok its a cupboard under the stairs!!) and
the pc takes up a fair bit of space,=20

however, i only turn it on when the disk access is needed so the
economics of upgrading to a NAS are challenging when I need to spend
=A3400 to get essentially the same ability i have now just in a much
smaller (and admittedly more reliable) footprint!

god whats happened to me, bought my house last august and now HA
purchases get weighed up against such stuff as new floors and desks!

to keep this on topic the floor in question does involve a project to
have numerous cables and conduit routed either under the floor or over
the ceiling to minimise visible technology and the desk will of course
be graced with a suitable piece of mac hardware but hey its flooring
and furniture!! how did that take over stuff with flashing lights and
plugs on the end in my mind!!

help me! there must be some kind of course i can go on to help me with
this problem ;)

Noel

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Andy Davies" <dajdavies@...> wrote:

> Will only take two drives but what about this one:
>=20

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/QNAP-TS-201-NAS-Server-Turbo-Station_W0QQitemZ2600712=
33808QQihZ016QQcategoryZ1484QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
>=20
> or
>=20
> http://tinyurl.com/to2gd
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> On 01/01/07, noel_pilot <HA@...> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> > Happy new year to all, in true HA spirit Im planning the first of
> > 2007's purchases!!
> >
> > After my windows xp based media server keeps winding me up I've
> > decided I need to look into a NAS device of some sort.
> >
> > I've got 3 x 300Gb SATA drives in the server and a 4th SATA drive
> > thats 120Gb,
> >
> > Ideally I'd like some kind of Terrastation style enclosure that I
> > could just put these drives in!?
> >
> > Any recommendations on this one, i know there's icy box
enclosures and