RE: Re: [Advert] - *Massive* clearout - please help me pay for my new AV amplifier!

  • Subject: RE: Re: [Advert] - *Massive* clearout - please help me pay for my new AV amplifier!
  • From: "Richard Malcolm-Smith" <rich_lists@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 23:14:13 +1300

It only made sense with CRT screens where upconversion on the player
was
there because the TV didnt have one. most 1080i capable tvs sold in pal
countries are 100Hz however, which means that the benifits are reduced over
what they get in ntsc countries where the tvs dont up convert.
=20
With a flat panel, it has to be native res to display it, and if you take a
dvd up to 1080i and send it to a flat panel, it has to deinterlace that to
display, so you end up with 2 deinterlaces done on it, which is not pretty.
And if the panel isnt a 720 line panel, then outputting 720p means that
there is 2 resizings happening, also not good.
=20
Any time you see people commenting that the blacks looked better on the
upconversion or something to do with colours, its a different processing
thats happening somewhere along the way, usually the upscalers tweek the
image to look a bit better to most people, but you can achieve that with
th=
brightness and contrast on the TV usually.
=20
The upconverting players I have used have done a really bad job on video
sourced dvds, which are what a bulk of mine are (music, not pron!!) - And
m=
100hz tv isnt a hell of a lot better at not screwing things up either.

_____=20=20