Re: HA tool recommendations

I have a pair of wire strippers which have shaped blades with
half-holes in
various diameters on each blade so they cut all round the insulation and
make it very easy to pull off. I wouldn't trade them for auto strippers,
side cutters, end cutters or a knife. In fact, I think I may end up a
little
distraught if/when they go blunt. Excellent for Cat-5 stripping. You really
want to avoid nicking the copper.
The only downside is if you put the cable in too small a hole. Snip. I
don't
know where to get them now though, I actually bought them for my Dad one
Christmas many moons ago.

I've also got a cable stripper for the outers which is much easier than
messing with a knife etc. www.homestead.co.uk CY45

And an electricians tap to clean the box mounting ears before attempting to
fit the screws proved useful after one or two nasty knackered thread
episodes plus an over exuberant plasterer. Dead cheap from screwfix.

Cheers,

David

On 2/26/07, JonShaw <semi.jon@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>   So far I've mainly done first-fix work but now beginning to enter
> 2nd-fix
> and I am finding it slow. I have some watch makers screw drivers, a
> Stanley
> knife and a soldering iron.
>
> I am finding stripping stranded Cat5 conductors (for Idranet and
sensors)
> bit hit and miss, sometimes I knick the wire so a number of strands
are
> lost. I bought a "parrot" type "automatically
adjusting" stripper and that