Re: In-wall controllers

Hi
This is my "maiden posting" on this forum. I have been active on
UK Selfbui=
ld for several years. Eventually started building on Isle of Wight in 2005
=
(retirement project). Hope to move in this year. Currently living on site
i=
n a caravan.
I have been lurking on this list for several weeks and see several UKSB
nam=
es.
Although I am a "techie" I hadn't planned much HA. Started with 6
channel L=
utron Graphic Eye for living area. (thanks Chris Hunter for the lead).
The=
n chose Powermax + alarm, which introduced X10. Now have 2 DIN rail
consume=
r units and a certain amount of HA (thanks Gareth Cook via eBay for
plug-in=
s). With plug ins I can do lights but also turn the compressor off from
the=
caravan in the middle of the night...big improvement when it is raining!).
I bought a 9U cabinet for node zero and flood wired cat5e. Wife (Jane)
thes=
suggested music system goes in the "study" so now I have a 42U
cabinet and=
loudspeaker wires everywhere. First fix wiring is nearly done.

So UHKA "diehard"...could be...it is getting harder to see where
I am going=
and I am dieing to know how to get there!!!

That is the intro. Now my point re the thread.
A friend has just had a mini touchscreen music etc system installed.
GBP20k=
+ which makes it about 2 orders of magnitude more than by budget!
I will have a cobbled together music system and server in another room. I
w=
as wondering about a "control station" in the living room.
Assuming a touch=
screen wall panel is "over budget" I had wondered about a 5 or 7
inch disp=
lay (digital photo frame...some have a usb input...could that be used??)
an=
d a small keyboard (I think you can get a rubber one...used on boat pc
inst=
allations). Question is can a screen and a keyboard be connected via cat
5e=
to a remote pc. I have never looked inside a usb cable to see the structur=
e. Has anyone on the list gone this way?=20
Rgds
Peter
----- Original Message -----=20