CCTV beginner

Hello,

I'm looking to have some CCTV. I have two applications in mind:

1. Outside the house to see who is at the door. To begin with, this
could just be showing the camera output on the tv. Later I could
develop this into motion detection sending a photo message to a mobile
phone.

For this what is best: cctv or a webcam? Or have the technologies got
to more or less the same level now? Do I chose a camera on its
resolution?

2. I'm live in a little village surrounded by woodland. I have heard
(on the internet) that some drivers have installed an IR light to
their car and use an IR camera to look for deer that you wouldn't
normally see in the dark. I'm not quite sure how this works. Do you
output the camera to a portable tv or laptop? Do you have a
"navigator" watch this screen or do you glance at it like you
would a
wing mirror? What 12v solutions can you think of?

Thanks.