Re: [OT] How do I compile c++ source to a windows exe

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 21:31:39 +0000, you wrote:

>Hi all (otherwise know as the fountains of all knowledge!)
>
>I am a long time lurker and occasional UKHA conference visitor (2004 -
I had
>the gadget friendly wife)
>and would not post this but have now wasted hours tring to do something
that
>should be simple.
>
>I need to compile a program from the C++ source at
>http://people.cs.uchicago.edu/~pff/segment<http://people.cs.uchicago.edu/%7Epff/segment>
>to run in a command window on windows XP
>
>Can someone please point me to a very simple 'How To' as I have no
>experience of doing this.

I assume from your question that you don't have a C++ compiler at
the moment?

I've had a look at the URL and downloded and compiled this
program.  Whether it will work or not I'm not competent to say.

The problem with this code is that it was written on a Unix box
with little thought for portability!  :-(

So - to get this to compile:

1)  Assuming you have no compiler go to www.bloodshed.net and download
the Dev-C++ IDE and compiler.  Version 5 is fine, even though it is
Beta. The actual version is 4.9.9.2 at the moment. This compiler is
free.

2) Install Dev-C++

3) Unpack the 'segment' zip into a sub-dir of the Dev-C++ directory.

4) Edit the file segment-image.h at lines 33, 34 and 35 to use the
function rand() instead of random().  (random() is usualy included in
Unix distributions, but isn't in the C standard.  rand() *is* in the
standard.  It's a historical thing)

5) Open a CMD box and change directory to where the segment files have
been unpacked.

6) Add the path <dev-c++>\bin to the PATH environment variable.

7) Type 'make'.  There shouldn't be any errors and you are done.

Note that the Microsoft compiler will not compile this without a lot
of messing about.

Regards,
Harry.