Re: Alarm door contacts for external doors

Phil White wrote:
> I was about to order some recessed door contacts (Quickfit Magnetic
> Door/Window Contact - Brown from home-control.co.uk) to fit into our
timber
> doors, when I noticed that they were not suitable for damp conditions.
> Since the obvious use for these sensors in external doors and windows,
> assume that damp conditions are somewhat worse that just being in the
head
> of a door.
>

> Anyone had issues with "severe corrosion . and can creep up the
cable eating
> it away." With this type of sensor?

If I've found the ones you're referring to, then I have.

The ones in my parents kitchen door (timber frame) grew blue gunk and
stopped working every few years, taking a portion of the end of the
cable with it (just the end 1 or 2cm).

Fairly simple job to replace the sensor and fortunately there was plenty
of slack in the cable nearby.

Oddly I think it stopped corroding after the third or fourth time; not
sure what was different the last time.

btw: Maplin sell what looks like the same thing a little cheaper:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=3076&doy=16m2

The also have this one - not sure if the preattached cables might mean
it's a bit more damp proof:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&DOY=16m2&ModuleNo=4767

Joseph