Re: ESD matting

White, Peter wrote:
> That'll be a no then.....thanks.
>
> In that case, if anyone know where to get 75mtrs of ESD matting, I'm
all
> ears!=20

18m ro=
ll).
>> My question, in an effort to be practical and to save costs, is
could=20
>> I not just use a rubber pond liner such as these:
>> http://www.aquatics-warehouse.co.uk/acatalog/AQUALAST_POND_LINERS.html
>> <http://www.aquatics-warehouse.co.uk/acatalog/AQUALAST_POND_LINERS.htm
>> l> The matting would be spray-mounted to a formica top anyway,
so=20
>> thickness isn't really a problem.
>>=20=20
>> Thoughts?
>>=20=20=20
>>=20=20=20=20=20
>
> ESD mats are conductive (& earthed), to stop the build up of
static charg=
e.
> That's why it costs a lot more than a bit of rubber sheet...
>
> Jim

Anti static matting is static dissipative. Whilst it does conduct it is=20
still high resistance but not a pure insulator. If it were a pure=20
conductor then you would have problems with shorts between equipment=20
boards placed on it plus you might get a spark when bringing a charged=20
object towards it. The surface should be connected to earth via a large=20
resistor eg 1Mohm. Then you need to clean it, test it, have ionization=20
fans, wrist straps + testers, flooring + correct cleaners etc - where do=20
you want me to stop!

Here are a couple of suppliers from Google:

http://www.static-safe.co.uk/
http://www.staticsolutions.com/distributors.html#Anchor-Europ-29476

3M also make a lot of ESD stuff - "3M ESD" in google will get
lots of=20
hits and possible suppliers. Probably cheaper than RS etc but none of it=20
is really cheap!

Laurence