Re: Storage subsystem for HA server

Paul Gordon wrote:
> Does anyone have experience of either of these particular cards, or of
> other cards from ARECA?
[..]
> http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA/rr2310.htm

I have a Highpoint RocketRAID 2320 in my HA server (a Dell 850) with 4 x
Seagate 500Gb HD configured for RAID 5.

Given it's not got 1000's of clients, I saw no requirement to separate
the data and OS volumes (which as you stated requires more discs)

The Highpoint admin tools aren't the best (they look a bit Windows
3.1'ish) but they do the job and the card has been rock solid (wish I
could say the same for the NVidia RAID on my PC - absolute rubbish)

I would go for the 2320 over the 2310 as it contains double the number
of SATA ports giving you much better future expansion capability.

I did some performance tests comparing the motherboard RAID controller
with the Highpoint, and and RocketRAID blew the motherboard away.

I've no experience of the other card, sorry.

Cheers,

Neil

--
Web hosting, dedicated servers, Exchange & SharePoint
www.purleyhosting.com