Re: Got my new Home Server up and running..

I'd add my vote for using LVM.  I've been using it for year now and
it's an
essential part of controlling the organisation of large harddrives.  Far
far
better than the alternatives (many partitions or large partition with many
softlinks into it or....)

Now that most of the installer GUIs appear to support it it's even easier
set-up, though the command line tool(s) are pretty easy too.

No idea how it would cope with hosting a VM's disk images, but like many
other things linux, the OS "just sees" the 'logical volumes' as
A.N.Otherregular partition (so the VM probably wont even notice).

It's well well worth the effort of a couple of hours getting your head
round
it.

On Dec 11, 2007 5:50 PM, Ian Oliver <lists@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>   In article <fjjo7h+8b74@xxxxxxx
<fjjo7h%2B8b74%40eGroups.com>>, Ian
> Lowe wrote:
> > I guess I don't understand it fully, and opted for
"safe".