RE: DIN-rail switches, dimmers, etc - why ?

I think you are Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: ukha_d@xxxxxxx [mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Chris Hunter
Sent: 08 December 2007 19:40
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: [ukha_d] DIN-rail switches, dimmers, etc - why ?

see a quad DIN-rail dimmer (4x 250W) with all the usual facilities
(LEDs, GPI, etc) has just been released by Idratek ... they do DIN-
rail relay units, too ... and I think C-Bus have similar things ...

but

the DIN-rail approach has been around for a while, of course, but I'm
struggling to understand the logic in the modern HA context ... it
means wiring things (individual things, small groups of things) all
the way back to the consumer unit (or other such) ... which is not
very economical in terms of wiring, and a lot more hassle when fault-
finding, surely ?

I know great arrays of DIN units, with their LEDs, can look
impressive, but isn't that approach is redundant now that full views
of what's going-on can be had via Cortex (in this case), Homeseer,
Indigo, etc ... wouldn't it be  better to have the control units
close to what they're controlling, in a less obtrusive format ... ??

I'm missing something ...

Chris

PS: any news of the DFP units that featured so enticingly as icons in
the Cortex V22 release notes ?