Re: Got my new Home Server up and running..

  • Subject: Re: Got my new Home Server up and running..
  • From: "Paul Bendall" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2007 10:37:20 -0000

Reading the thread its gonna be about compromise. A fast CPU with
so=20
many features is going to draw so much power. How about reversing=20
the logic and working out the horse-power you realistically need?

Have a look at the new Via SN motherboard that is about to launch.=20
It is only 1.8Ghz CPU, but will take a PCI-x card, 4GB and 4 x=20
SATAII ports. It looks feable from the specs in comparison to the=20
below but do you actually need all the features below?

The benefit of the VIA CPU range is they draw very little power, The=20
above SN board will use <30W.

Of course the other method is use a low power machine for most tasks=20
and a high power machine only when you need it and get the low power=20
machine to send out Magic packets to wake and sleep the high power=20
machine.

Paul

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "brougham Baker" <bro-yahoo@...>=20
wrote:

> From: "Ian Lowe" <ianlowe@...>
>=20
> Just got back from playing "Rock Band" on the PS3 at a
mates. It's=20
a laugh.
>=20
> > well, it took a while planning, but I finally implemented my
> > replacement server for the house.
>=20
> I'm at that point now- need to do some consolidation- my=20
electricity bill is
> over =A380 pcm for a two-up two-down.
>=20
> > In motherboard terms, I wanted something with PCI-X support
(all=20
the
> > good raid cards seem to be PCI-X!) as well as VT support for=20
running
> > x64 VMs.
>=20
> Me too
>=20
> > I liked the look of ASUS' Professional Workstation range, and=20
chose the
> > P5WDG2-WS Pro - an absolutely kick-ass board with 7 SATA=20
connectors on
> > board, PCI-e, PCI-X and able to handle loads of RAM.
>=20
> Good find that- may have to emulate you there.
>=20
> > 4Gb of OCZ RAM (probably the first thing I'll upgrade)
finished=20
off the
> > Spec, along with a silent nvidia Graphics Card (with component=20
video
> > out - just in case!).
>=20
> 2x 2GB or 4x1GB currently? I see this board has 4 slots.
>=20
> > I experimented a bit with various OSes, and decided that for=20
this job I
> > wanted to use Ubuntu 7.10 - the maturity of the Linux Kernel
is=20
just
> > amazing now, and it can do some pretty funky tricks - as I
found=20
out.